POMODORI AL FORNO
Ingredients• 1 cup (or more) olive oil, divided
• 2 pounds paste tomatoes, halved lengthwise
• 3 teaspoons fresh oregano
• 3/4 teaspoon sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
• 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
• Plain goat cheese
Crostinis for serving
· Preheat oven to 250°F.
· Mix olive oil, oregano, sugar and salt in a small bowl.
· Pour 1/2 cup oil mixture into 13x9x2-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Arrange tomatoes in dish, cut side up. Drizzle with remaining 1/2 cup oil mixture. Bake 1 hour.
Using tongs, turn tomatoes over. Bake 1 hour longer. Turn tomatoes over again. Bake until deep red and very tender, transferring tomatoes to plate when soft (time will vary, depending on ripeness of tomatoes), about 15 to 45 minutes longer.
· You can do the above ahead of time. Be sure to fully cool the tomatoes before covering and placing in the fridge. You can keep them chilled for up to 5 days. Either serve warm or at room temperature.
Take a crostini, put a dollop of plain goat cheese on top and add a dollop of the roasted tomatoes. Yum! I like the goat cheese to also be warm or at room temperature.
· You can also change this recipe up. You could remove the garlic. Or, you could substitute basil for the oregano. Add some fresh parsley on top at the end.