Best Homemade Tomato Soup from Garden-Fresh Tomatoes
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion sliced
- Organic sea salt
- 2 lbs tomatoes (about 10 med tomatoes)
- 2-3 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 tbsp uncooked white rice – I used
basmati rice (this is your thickening agent)
- a sprig of fresh thyme or basil or both
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 1 cup water
- another pinch of salt
- In a large pot, add 2 tbsp. butter, olive
oil, onion and pinch of salt. Steam until soft (do not brown).
- While onions are steaming, wash and core
- Add garlic to pot of onions and cook for
- Add tomatoes, salt, rice, bay leaf and
your fresh herbs to the pot of onions.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring
occasionally until your tomatoes are well-cooked and rice is tender.
- Add the last 3 ingredients (water, 1
tbsp. Butter, pinch salt) and cook until butter melts.
- Remove from heat and take out bay leaf
and herb sprigs.
- Puree to your liking.
- Strain to remove seeds (optional…we don’t